"Enzo is a Chelsea player. We are happy with him and he's getting ready for Monday," Xabi Alonso said as Chelsea tried to quiet the latest transfer noise around Enzo Fernández. The midfielder returned to training 10 days ago after taking extended leave following the World Cup, and Chelsea expected him to be part of the squad for Monday's Premier League opener away to Fulham.
Alonso's line on Fernandez
Alonso did not stop at availability. "I see him with a really good attitude and that's what we want," he said, while also stressing that Fernandez has been training well since joining the group 10 days ago and is fully integrated. Those are the details Chelsea wanted out in the open, especially with Manchester City linked and the Fulham vs Chelsea fixture close enough for the story to matter on Monday.
The Argentine's numbers from last season explain why Chelsea are keen to keep the focus on football. He made 54 appearances across all competitions, scored 15 goals and provided seven assists. His recent form has also been solid, with goals in two of his last five matches and an average rating of 7.3 across that run.
Chelsea's stance before the opener
Chelsea had already set a £120m valuation and a self-imposed deadline that passed last Friday without a formal bid. The window remains open until 1 September, so the door is still technically there for late interest, but the club's public line is clear: Fernandez is part of the squad for Fulham and expected to be involved on Monday.
The reaction around him is still mixed. He was booed and also received chants of support when he came on against Real Sociedad, and Chelsea even gave him the captain's armband in a friendly last weekend when he replaced Reece James. That split reception is why the club keep leaning on selection and fitness rather than transfer noise. Monday's trip to Fulham is the next live test.
Written by Jack Mercer with AI-assisted research, cross-checked against 5 outlets. How we work →




