Paul Scholes has been handed a six-month driving ban after two speeding convictions were dealt with on consecutive days. The former Manchester United midfielder was convicted in his absence, and the two cases ended with fines, costs and court fees of £1,472.
The two speeding cases
The first offence came on March 3, when Scholes’ Range Rover was clocked at 37mph on a 30mph residential road on the A649 Halifax Road near Cleckheaton just after 11.30pm. The second case involved a Mercedes registered in his name, caught at 49mph in a 30mph zone on the A670 Mossley Road near Ashton-under-Lyne on November 14 last year.
Those were separate cases, dealt with on consecutive days at Bradford and Manchester magistrates’ courts. A court official said Scholes "did not enter pleas to either of the charges he faced and was convicted in his absence". Police also said "no reply has been received".
Court outcome
Court papers described Scholes as a "totter", meaning he already had enough points for an automatic ban. The end result was still blunt enough: six months off the road, two convictions, and a combined bill of £1,472.
Scholes played 499 times for Manchester United and won 66 England caps, but this case turned on the two driving offences alone. The ban is already in place, and the court decision now sits alongside the separate speeding incidents at Bradford and Manchester.
Written by Jack Mercer with AI-assisted research, cross-checked against 3 outlets. How we work →


