Manchester United have agreed a £70m deal for Carlos Baleba, with Brighton accepting a package made up of £65m guaranteed and £5m in add-ons. Baleba is expected to travel tonight ahead of a scheduled medical on Saturday, putting United close to another major midfield addition as Michael Carrick keeps pushing his squad rebuild.

The key point here is that United have finally got the agreement they wanted for a player they clearly see as a priority. At £70m, this is not a depth signing or a late-window gamble. It is a significant commitment for a midfielder expected to contribute quickly.

The agreement United have landed

Goal.com reports that the deal is now in place between United and Brighton, with the final package set at £70m. The split matters because it clears up the structure: £65m is guaranteed, with a further £5m attached in add-ons.

Baleba is not through every stage yet, and that distinction matters in transfer coverage. He is expected to travel before a medical scheduled for Saturday, which means the move is advanced but not completed.

Even so, United have crossed the difficult part. Brighton are rarely straightforward sellers, and once they accept a fee at this level, the rest tends to move quickly unless something unexpected intervenes.

Baleba leaves Brighton having made 112 appearances since joining from Lille in the summer of 2023. He was limited to 23 Premier League starts last season, which makes the fee a bold one from United's side, but also hints at why they believe there is more growth to come.

His recent form numbers do not scream instant superstar. Baleba averaged 6.7 across his last five Premier League outings. United are paying for profile and upside as much as current output.

Carrick's midfield rebuild

This is where the transfer makes most sense. United have already moved aggressively in midfield this summer, and Baleba is due to become another addition in that area as Carrick keeps reworking the squad.

Speaking to express.co.uk, Carrick said: "I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad,"

That fits the business United are trying to do before the window shuts. Carrick also said: "We're certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward."

Reports have linked this midfield rebuild to several arrivals, with some source variation over exactly how that group is counted. What is clear is that Baleba is being brought in as part of a broader reset in the middle of the pitch, not as an isolated market opportunity.

United at least head into that next phase from a relatively stable platform. They won three, drew one and lost one of their last five league matches, and they finished third in the Premier League last season. That does not remove the need for another midfielder, but it does explain why the club are spending like a team trying to push on rather than patch holes.

Carrick's wider point on the window was also clear. Speaking to express.co.uk, he said: "I said the same thing to you last time, so yeah, certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it, and I think we're in a good way to doing that so far."

What Brighton are losing

Brighton finished eighth in the Premier League last season and have been through this cycle often enough for big sales to feel normal. Baleba still looks like a significant one.

He may not have started every week last season, but 112 appearances since 2023 is a serious body of work. Brighton also took two wins and three defeats from their last five league games, so the club are not exactly selling from a position of complete calm.

United, by contrast, are buying a midfielder with regular recent involvement and room to develop further. Baleba has featured in five recent matches in all competitions, which supports the idea that he can be folded into the first-team picture quickly once the deal is done.

The immediate next step is the medical scheduled for Saturday, after Baleba's expected travel ahead of the move.

FAQ

Will Carlos Baleba join Manchester United this summer?

Manchester United have agreed a deal worth £70m for Carlos Baleba, with the package split into £65m guaranteed and £5m in add-ons. He is expected to travel ahead of a scheduled medical on Saturday, so the move is advanced, but it should not be treated as completed yet.

Why are Manchester United signing another midfielder after other summer arrivals?

United are still treating midfield as a priority. Baleba is due to become another addition in that area as Michael Carrick continues reshaping the squad. Carrick has said the club are still trying to strengthen and finish the window stronger than they started it.

How much is the Carlos Baleba transfer fee to Manchester United?

The agreed package is worth £70m in total. It is made up of a £65m guaranteed fee and £5m in add-ons. Reports around different structures have circulated, but that is the figure attached to the current agreement.

What does Carlos Baleba's move mean for Brighton?

Baleba's exit would remove a player who has made 112 appearances for Brighton since arriving from Lille in 2023. Brighton finished eighth last season, and losing another established player adds to a summer that already looks busy at the club.

Written by Jack Mercer with AI-assisted research, cross-checked against 2 outlets. How we work →